This is an informative list of easy ways to make money starting right now.
In fact, I’ve used many of the methods directly to help me make an average of £500-£1000+ of extra money a month. I’ve also added a few extra options that I know will be more appealing for some.
Increasing your income is one of the easiest ways to transform your financial life.
Finding Ways to Make Extra Money
Whether you are just starting out with no money or you are looking to boost your income further, you are sure to find an opportunity suitable for you.
There’s no definitive order to the list, what’s the most suitable method for one person, might not be of interest to the next. However, those nearer the top are where I would start.
Be sure though, if you are looking to make extra money here in the UK, this page can help, all you need to do is take action.
1. Matched Betting
Without a doubt my favourite way to make money!
Matched Betting is not gambling. It’s a method of exploiting profit from bookmakers sign up offers and daily reload offers.
You can read more in my Ultimate Matched Betting Guide which includes links to past monthly income reports. Also, see how you can get started with totally free trials and expect to make your first £40+ at sites like Profit Accumulator (review).
In recent years Matched Betting sites have made this side hustle so easy to learn with beginner-friendly step by step instructions and walkthrough videos. They find all the offers, provide instructions for doing them as well as the software tools and calculators to help you profit as easily and quickly as possible.
No prior knowledge of gambling or sports is required, you learn everything you need to know as you go. You also don’t need to watch any sports (if you’re not a fan).
Matched Betting Summary:
- Startup: You need £60-£100 to get started. You don’t spend this, just use it to complete offers and make profits.
- Pro’s: You can start making money immediately. Profits are tax-free!
- Potential Earnings: £300 to £500+ a month (certainly potential for more, I made over £30,000+ in 3 years)
- Tip: Don’t be too quick to spend your profits, it really helps to keep making money long term if you build your bankroll, to say £1000+. You can then try more advanced methods such as casinos or arbing, both covered below.
2. Bank Switching £100+ a Time
Time-wise bank switching is a very lucrative income earner.
In total it might take an hour of your time spread out over a matter of days and you can earn £100-£175 a time. Sometimes even more.
Plus if you and maybe a partner switch it can be a nicer earner for the household. Plus sometimes you can recommend friends and earn even more.
You just need to be prepared to switch your main current account or have a spare account available set up to switch.
Switching is a really simple and straight forward process and typically completes with just 7 days.
See my guide to making money bank switching and for TSB & Nationwide referral codes if you need them.
Bank Switching Summary:
- To Start: A bank account, money to meet montly transfers, and possible a couple of DD’s.
- Earnings Estimate: £200-£300+ a year. Possibly more in the first year.
20 Cogs one-off way to make £100-£200 by completing a range of Competitions, Offers, Gaming sign-ups and surveys.
I made a £129.60, possibly less than average because I had previously completed some of the offers available.
You can see my progress in my 20 COGS review which includes my full lists of pros and cons as well as tips for setting yourself up.
20 Cogs Pro’s & Cons
- A way of making £100-£200+
- Work time involved is about 10 hours, spread out over time.
- Once you start you need to complete all 20 offers to get a payout.
- It’s just a one-off way to make money, you can’t do it again.
- Need to keep records of sign-ups, cancellation dates etc.
- To complete to final payout take a few weeks.
The best cashback sites are primarily used to save money on all kinds of purchases.
However, you can also use them to actively make money. One site, in particular, is actually designed to help you do just that, read my Oh My Dosh review.
They are ideal for combining with Matched Betting sign up offers and profiting from both the offer via the Matched Betting instructions and also get cashback on top.
You can typically get cashback on Bookmakers, casinos and online bingo sites sign up offers. See my Quidco Review which highlighted over well over £370 available.
You can also do tasks for cashback like using a financial service or sometimes daily smaller amounts for doing a search of a comparison site or a for a single click.
Sometimes they have seasonal promotions which give away instant prizes. See my Topcashback review for examples:
So if you are not already a member of both, they are both worth joining just for the passive like saving money aspect alone.
Join The Free Cashback Sites:
- Topcashback (usually offers slightly more cashback)
- Quidco (Claim £10 referral bonus once you’ve earnt £5 cashback)
5. Mystery Shopper
If you are out and about often, enjoy shopping or eating out, then becoming a Mystery Shopper might be for you.
If you join a wide range of sites you’ll find you are offered tasks on a daily basis.
It’s then just a matter of choosing which Mystery shopping jobs are worthwhile money wise and within reach of your location.
Some jobs pay in freebies. Only you will know if this is worth your while.
Mystery Shopping works well around other jobs. It works well when combined with “Get Paid Too” tasks that might also be available in close proximity.
- Pros: If you are out and about you can fit around other tasks. Combines well with other task apps.
- Cons: Might need transport to reach some of the job locations.
6. Arbitrage Betting (Arbing)
Arbitrage Betting is a way to make money from bookmakers that don’t require any free bets or other promotions like Matched Betting does.
Arbing is kind of related to Matched Betting, however, when profiting from bookmakers offers you are advised not to arb bookies or your account will be restricted from receiving future offers if you are gubbed. So, therefore, it is often overlooked as a source of profit.
The intention when arbing is to place 2 bets (or more) so that whatever the outcome of the event you guarantee a profit.
In simple terms, if the back bet odds at the bookmaker are higher than the lay betting odds at the betting exchange you can make a profit.
Check out my in-depth arbitrage betting guide for everything you need to know to get started and take to the next level.
Potential Earnings: Totally varies depending on your bankroll, time input, your set up for alerts, your bookie stakes and the current arbing opportunities. Some months I easily made £100’s extra, many from arbs posted in in the Profit Accumulator forums.
- Profits tax-free
- It’s a very simple strategy (back high odds, lay lower odds).
- Easy to set up alerts for
- 0% exchange commissions currently mean higher profits
- Helps to have a large bankroll to place large stakes for bigger profits. Or simply to arb as many opportunities as possible to make it even more worthwhile.
- Not good to arb accounts that are still giving you Matched Betting offers you can profit from.
7. Make Money From Casino Offers
Start with sign-ups, many of which can be combined with cashback offers.
Once signed up you can start doing regular risk-free offers such as 10 free spins, or risk-f
ree deposit and get 50 free spins types offers for existing customers.
With risk-free offers, you don’t risk losing a penny of your own money.
If you build your bank you may want to try and give low-risk casinos offers ago. We only do these when the odds are in ours, the player’s favour.
However, with low risk, you will sometimes lose money on individual offers. The goal though is to do enough offers with Expected value in your favour that you’ll end up in profit because the maths is in your favour. It, therefore, becomes a numbers game. Focus on completing as many offers as you can. Typically, in the long run, you can expect your results to track somewhere in the region of your Expected Value from all offers attempted.
The longer I did Matched Betting, the more I started to earn from casino offers and joined more advanced sites like Profit Maximiser (review) for even more offers and different strategies.
Read my post how to win and profit from online casino offers.
- Daily opportunities to profit either from risk-free or low risk upwards.
- Extremely flexible, can do offers pretty much anytime day or night before the offer expires.
- Opportunity for some nice profits if you have luck on your side. I made £100’s and even £1000’s some months.
- You’d be advised to have a £1000+ bankroll before you start doing low-risk casino offers as part of your basic bankroll management.
Swagbucks is similar to a surveys site but offers a whole lot more ways to earn money, so worthy of mention in its own right.
You can earn rewards for surfing the web and completing tasks for rewards.
You can download apps and get rewarded for watching videos or just setting them to play and leaving them.
Sign up here to Swagbucks to see what’s involved.
By itself, it is not a big earner so it will work best if you combine with other similar methods as well
However, it’s one of the best of its type so will give you a good feel of what can be achieved at the lowest levels.
- Really easy and some find it fun
- For some people gets them started making them realise they can earn money online
- Relatively low earn rate.
9. Start a Blog or Website – Even If Its Just 1 Page
You don’t have to start a full-on blog or website to utilise their money earning power.
It’s quite possible you could start earning just from a single page.
These days many people have or can quickly gain social media followings, quite often dedicated to a specific interest. Instagram is a great example.
There are accounts dedicated to all kinds of hugely popular interests:
- Various diets for slimming or types of cuisines
- Health and fitness, Yoga, etc
- All kinds of creative and artistic type accounts
With your own basic web site or blog front page to share referrals codes or special deals via affiliate marketing links you could start earning money.
Simply add a link to your web site or blog in the profile link space.
Without the pressure of launching a blog, you could simply learn in the background how to piece a web site together and all the other components that are probably overlooked prior to starting, e.g various different plugins, how to do images. Which can all be learnt and tested behind the scenes without going public.
BlueHost Make Starting A Blog Cheap and Easy
You could start this journey from as little as £XYZ a month via a bluehost account.
The reasons Bluehost are ideal for anyone looking to start learning the ropes are as follows:
- Great value for money – very low monthly fee.
- Free domain for the first year
- Free SSL certificate (which means your website will be more secure be https rather than just http)
- 24/7 Support – Ideal for newbies.
- 1 Click WordPress Install makes it ideal
- Recommended by WordPress.org
- 30 Day Money Back guarantee
From there its a journey of creation. Everything you’ll need to know is available via Google or Youtube videos (I Use both often to help me).
WordPress is easy to use and is so popular there are tutorials and help guides for every aspect to help you with anything you need.
To earn money, just a couple of referrals a month from a web site would easily cover the low monthly cost.
More importantly, it could be the start of something much bigger in the future, that you haven’t been yet conceived until you gained an insight starting out small.
- Pro’s Make money from your interest
- High potential earnings
- Needs a little money to get started
- Earnings take time to build
Combine Methods To Make Even More
Many of the ways to make money listed above can be combined with other methods.
For example, Cashback can be combined with Matched Betting bookmaker, casino and bingo sign up offers. Or you could use cashback with retail arbitrage and any buying you do in bulk especially if it’s online.
Plus while you are outsourcing maybe slot in some Get Paid To do tasks or a Mystery Shop all while you have a Get Paid to Walk app on your phone
Extra Money MakingTips
You are only going to make money if you act on the methods you find.
Make making extra money a habit. Whether, its checking daily Matched Betting offers or surveys, or always checking for Mystery shopping opportunities before you go out.
If for example, you choose to do Matched Betting/Surveys, do an offer or survey every day. Even if just one. Check for email offers or free spins daily.
If selling on a platform, list one item every day. Often you’ll end up doing multiple offers or listings.
You only need to make:
- £10 a day to have £300 a month
- £16.67 a day to have £500 a month
Cashback is an ingrained habit for me, I never forget to shop online without first going through a cashback site.
If you get frustrated with your progress or lack of, consider such things as Daily Affirmations to reaffirm your goals day and night. Really focus your attention and you’ll be impulsed to achieve.
If you are looking to make extra money, hopefully, one of the above is suitable for you.
Now I’d like to hear from you.
What’s your go-to side hustle for extra income?
Have I missed any great money earners that you would recommend?
If you’re just starting out, which option are you going to try first? Have you tried some already?
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments 🙂